by Kayla Johnson
It’s the holiday season and, for most people, it’s a time to spend with family and friends – enjoying the simple things or shopping together for gifts for one another. One of the most popular holiday activities is often baking, whether for your own family, for gifting to loved ones, or, just simply, for you. While it can be the most wonderful time of the year, it can also be one of the most stressful times for many people. It’s common knowledge that stress relief is one of the many benefits of cannabis use so, this year, why not combine cannabis with your holiday baking with cannabis sugar cookies?
Once you’ve made cannabis-infused butter or oil, anything you use it in becomes an edible. That goes for those cannabis sugar cookies and other sweets whipped up during this time of year. To help ease some of that stress and anxiety that can come along with the rush and hubbub, we’ve got a medicated sugar cookie recipe to share with you. They’re a festive way to give yourself a body high that’s relaxing without being overwhelming. Not to mention, for your cannabis-friendly friends, a batch of these cookies makes a great gift!
Before you start.
Make sure you have some cannabutter prepared. See our recipe in our previous issue if you need to make some. It’s easier than you think!). The dose of THC per cannabis sugar cookie will depend on how potent your butter is, and whether or not you add plain butter in place of any portion of the infused. You can also use infused coconut oil if you prefer. But be aware that this may change the flavor and texture of the final product. So experiment at your own discretion.
Cannabis sugar cookies:
Time – 45 minutes start to finish
Yields – About 24 cookies, dependent on size
- 2 ½ cups of flour, extra for rolling
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of cannabutter
- 1 egg
- 1 TSP baking powder
- 1 TSP vanilla
- 1 TSP salt
- Beat together sugar, cannabutter, egg and vanilla in a large bowl, on medium speed if using a mixer, until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Adding a small portion at a time, mix the dry ingredients into the cannabutter mixture, stirring until they’re blended well.
- Cover the dough, and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375* F, remove dough from the fridge.
- Flour your rolling surface of choice thoroughly, and roll the dough out until it’s approximately ⅓” thick. Cut cookies, and place them on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until they turn a light golden brown.
- Remove from oven, place on cooling rack, and let cool completely.
- As with any edible, it’s important to make sure your friends and family know which cookies are medicated and which are not. Consider using fun cookie cutters to get your point across.
Try a cannabis leaf shaped cutter or by using frosting to decorate them with a weed theme. Keep these treats out of reach of children and unsuspecting consumers. And make sure they’re properly labeled in the container they’re placed in.
These cannabis sugar cookies are perfect to enjoy with a cup of hot cocoa after a busy day of holiday preparation. They are a great accompaniment to a moment of remembering the small things in life. Happy holidays! Enjoy!
Read more articles by Kayla: